A Year In Food

From New York to Costa Rica to Europe to California: 365 Days of Dining Out

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Feb. 15.



Dinner -

Dumpling Man - 100 St. Mark's Pl., East Village
Seared pork dumplings (6)
$4.62

Racing back from JFK to beat the midnight deadline, I was seriously craving dumplings after eight days in Costa Rica. Because they were almost closed by the time I got there, I was stuck with ordering whatever Dumpling Man had left. For me, that wasn't a big problem. I'd happily eat anything on the menu and I decided to pretend I was having a very low budget omakase.

I got six seared pork dumplings with a container of their hot red sauce. The dough skin is thicker than many other dumplings and the pork is mixed with Asian chives and a little ginger and scallion juice. Generally, I prefer the steamed shrimp, but I've got to say, after being welcomed back by a cold wintry New York, to the traffic and the blaring horns, to the rush of skyscraper lights and startling nightscapes, the seared pork tasted like a wonderful homecoming. 7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home