A Year In Food

From New York to Costa Rica to Europe to California: 365 Days of Dining Out

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

May 24.



Dinner -

Great N.Y. Noodletown - 28 Bowery, Chinatown
Seafood noodle soup
$8

N.Y. Noodletown is loud, crowded, ugly, frenzied and full of great food. In other words, it typifies everything I love about Chinatown. The portions are also enormous, the service is nearly nonexistent but (if you can flag down a waiter) efficient, and the menu is long and varied.

Many people rave over the salt-baked squid or the soft-shell crabs but I haven't had those yet. I hit Noodletown whenever I have a craving for one of their gargutuan soups. Similar to Japanese ramen soups, they have delicious firms noodles at the bottom of a heavy, salty broth, and are topped with pieces of meat or seafood.

Always a fan of the life aquatic, I went for the seafood, which came with a generous helping of shrimp, scallops and squid. As with all of their other soups, this one was a great and filling meal. My one complaint is that I'd prefer the broth to be milder and subtler, but then again, if the flavors weren't strong, this wouldn't be Chinatown. 7/10

Even Star Wars fan like it: Wookiee Hut on Great N.Y. Noodletown

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place is the worst place you can go to because I found a fly in my food and they gave me uncooked dumpling where you can still see the power. DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home