A Year In Food

From New York to Costa Rica to Europe to California: 365 Days of Dining Out

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Aug. 14.



Special Feature -

Big News - So where we last left off, I had quit my job, moved out of the East Village, and was staying in Brooklyn. As of August 7th, I've been staying in Northern Virginia at my friend Vince's parents' house. (We've been raiding their refrigerator ever since, so no blogging below the Mason-Dixon this time.) In less than three hours, he and I will be flying off to Barcelona to kick off a whirlwind three-month trip backpacking across Europe. After that, I'll be returning to New York for a brief stint to pack up my life into a suitcase or two, and moving out to... San Francisco. Why, you ask? I've always wanted to live in California, and San Fran seems to have some of the best food in the world. I have no idea what I'll do out there, but I'm excited and it looks to be yet another adventure among adventures.

Thus, as I'll be hightailing it across a whole other continent for the next ninety-two days, I expect my blogging to become more sporadic. But I will do my best to post on the road and keep you up to date on my culinary odyssey. (First stop: Cal Pep!) So while things will be different around A Year In Food, they should also be pretty exciting. Finally, if anyone has any advice on must-go places in any of the following destinations (and it has to be extremely affordable!), please post in the comments below...

Itinerary:

August
Barcelona - 15-19
Madrid - 20-23
Granada - 24-27
Valencia - 28-31

September
Bordeaux - 1-3
Nice - 4-6
Lyon - 7-8
Paris - 9-13
Amsterdam - 14-17
Hamburg - 18- 19
Copenhagen - 19-22
Oslo - 23-24
Stockholm - 25-27
Copenhagen - 28
Berlin - 29-Oct.1

October
Frankfurt - 2-3
Munich - 4-6
Prague - 7-11
Vienna - 11-12
Budapest – 13-17
Sarajevo - 18-20
Zagreb - 21-23
Ljubljana - 24-25
Salzburg - 26
Venice - 27
Florence - 28-30
Naples - 31-Nov.1

November
Rome - 2-5
Bologna - 6-7
Geneva - 8-9
Marseille - 10
Barcelona - 11-12

9 Comments:

Anonymous Kim said...

What exciting life changes! Wishing you all the best in your new endeavors. Looking forward to your reports of your meals in Europe and eventually, in San Francisco.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous JR said...

Bon voyage! I hope you get to deviate from your itinerary, and visit smaller places like Trieste (pork sandwiches near town center). As you tour Middle Europe from north to south the meat and potatoes will get lighter and lighter til they turn to gnocchi in northern Italy. Best of luck to you.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Adam said...

Danny, I'm so excited for you! Best of luck on your adventure, can't wait to read all about it.
Best,
Adam

4:52 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

oooooooo

mmmmmmmm

gggggggg

!!!!!!!!

wow - that looks sort of weird typed out like that.

anyway, i am absolutely pea green with envy that you are taking such an incredible trip!! spain! spain! spain! i hope you take pictures of EVERYTHING! i am dreaming of all the trips i want to take to every Spanish speaking country around the world. *sigh* LUCKY!

and of course, i am even more tickled that you are moving to...the bay area. i was hoping it would be l.a., but you just can't go from the food life you led in nyc, then come to l.a. LOL!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Waaaaahhhhh!!!! I am so sad that you will be moving to CA when you get back from your awesome trip. You are my favorite food blog for finding great(cheap and yummy) places to eat in NYC. What will I do without you?! Hopefully, you will keep your archives up so I can slowly eat my way through all the places you have been.

Good luck in CA! I have always wanted to move to CA, too, so I totally understand. I am sure you will love it there.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous astrid said...

Congratulations! I did the same thing last year (Asia, instead of Europe). Best decision of my life. Have a wonderful time and eat eat eat!! (Though you may find it difficult to blog as many internet cafes won't let you use a USB to connect your camera).

3:17 PM  
Blogger BADGE said...

Bon voyage my friend. Have an excellent time.

MM

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it will be a great three months!

In Paris I you may want to try out Ti Jos in the 14th for excellent crepes and cider (It's near the Vavin Stop on the Metro - Rue Delambre, I believe) and it's pretty cheap!

Also, to help extend the pizza world tour into France- Amici Miei in the 3rd on Beaumarchais, I had to speak a mangled version of Italian and Spanish there but it was damm good pizza. Just don't sit near the oven that sucker can heat the whole place!

Enjoy!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Mila Tan said...

Sounds like a great trip around Europe. I just came back from a week long visit to Munich and the food was interesting. I had my fill of the wursts and brezn (pretzels), but I have to say that my favorite place was a vegetarian restaurant within the city center. Look for Prinz Miskin (or Muskin, bad with names, but it's named after the character in Dostoevsky's The Idiot). If you get there on a Sunday, don't expect anything to be open.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home