A Year In Food

From New York to Costa Rica to Europe to California: 365 Days of Dining Out

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Sept. 13.



Rotterdam - When the overnight train to Nice proved to be a waking nightmare, we decided to scrap our itinerary and make some adjustments. One such adjustment was to add a day in Rotterdam before making our eventual way to Amsterdam, thus easing us into the Netherlands' rowdier capital. When Vince and I arrived at the central station and walked through the small Chinatown, I couldn't help but notice the wild buildings, the city's defining characteristic. Namely, it looked like there'd been an architecture contest and the judges couldn't pick a winner so they just decided to build everyone's entry.

Checking into our hostel, we spent most of the day walking around and taking in the notable sights, among them Erasmusburg, Rottermdam's most famous and accomplished bridge. Along the way, we passed many "coffee shops," which all distinctively smelled like my second year college apartment. Afterward, it was time for lunch. I walked around a few blocks, all of which had ten to twenty letters in their names, and stumbled upon a shop that claimed to sell Belgian Javanese and Surinamese broodjes, or sandwiches. It was called King Foeng, and I was immedately intrigued by the comination of Asian, African and European influences. Walking in blindly, I stepped up to the counter and ordered a dynamite, which consisted of hot sauce and pork, and garnalen, or shrimp. Both were completely phenomenal, with a crunchy bread reminiscent of bahn mi and a filling that outshone a lot of great Thai food. I felt shocked that not only had I never tried such a delicious sandwich, but that I had never even heard of it. In fact, it was so good that I ha no chance but to return to King Foeng, even after I discovered that many other places in Rotterdam also offered the same mix of Dutch-ruled nationalities. This time, I tried the kouseband garnalen, or shrimp and string beans, and the steak broodje. Again, both were fantastic although ultimately, my favorite was the exquite plain garnalen with its waves of heat. And while Rotterdam didn't entice me as much as it would an architecture student, the multicultural broodjes alone were well worth the detour.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mila Tan said...

Rotterdam sounds like an interesting city for architecture (that bridge picture was interesting enough, has piqued my curiousity), and for unusual fusion food. May want to add it to my list of places to drop by when I get to the Netherlands for a visit. Thanks for the description and the food comment. I'm enjoying reading your posts.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

are you home yet??!?!

:)

10:19 PM  
Blogger Lonesome Hero said...

Thanks Mila!

Sarah - November 12th!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home