A Year In Food

From New York to Costa Rica to Europe to California: 365 Days of Dining Out

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Dec 1.



Dinner -

Shake Shack - Madison Square Park, Gramercy Park
Double Shack Burger, cup of pumpkin frozen custard
$10

Maybe I forgot. Maybe the formula was tweaked. Maybe the products got even better while I was gone. Whatever it involved, I was blown away on that wintry night I made my return to Shake Shack. Already my favorite burger, it managed to become even better, literally rolling my eyes back with total pleasure. The meat is probably the key, its premium pedigree distinguishing itself from its burger competitors. But all of the other ingredients played their part too, from the warm, melted cheese to the soft bun to the creamy complement of secret Shack Sauce. Even as I type this, my mouth’s drooling from the memory. A knowing smile is lifting my lips. It was that good.

Somewhat disappointed with the concrete and the shake on my last trips (see May 3, Apr. 10) I decided to give dessert one last try. After such a satisfying entrée, it was a risk, but I hadn’t had any sugar in about, oh, two hours. Also tempting was that the frozen custard now came in the special seasonal flavor of pumpkin. So, ignoring the bitter temperature and the icy wind, I stepped back up the counter and bravely ordered away. Finally, letting out a sigh of relief and enjoyment, I’d found a fitting end to a terrific meal. The pumpkin custard was like a great Thanksgiving pie in scoop form. With dashes of cinnamon and a thick but soft consistency, it was even good enough to stand alone, a success in its own right. By the end of the meal, I’d decided that I must’ve forgotten just how incredible Shake Shack could be. It’s not a mistake I’ll be making again. 9/10

A Hamburger Today's May review of Shake Shack

4 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

That looks delicious. And how could you doubt them? Ha, just kidding. I 've eaten there a couple times and am always blown away by said burger's juiciness. MMM. I want to take a bite out of this picture!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Hey Lonesome Hero, in order for us all to get to know you better... I've tagged you for one of those list memes. I've never seen you do a meme before so hope you'll do it and have fun with it. We know you're a good writer, and you love to eat but I want more!!
Ha;)

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

酒店打工

酒店兼職

台北酒店

打工兼差

酒店工作

酒店經紀

禮服酒店

酒店兼差

酒店

酒店PT

酒店上班

酒店喝酒

酒店消費

喝花酒

粉味

喝酒

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Queens Wrongful Death lawyer said...

Great grab and go place for lunch.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home